About the A2MEND Student Charter
Under the auspice and affiliation of the African-American Male Educational Network Development (A2MEND), the Student Chapter of A2MEND is a student support structure that seeks to establish an affirming environment where African American male students and other men of color are able to thrive. The aim of the A2MEND student organization is to improve academic success and to develop culturally competent servant student leaders. The Student Chapter of A2MEND is further designed to develop competent life skills, reaffirm the value of the African/African American cultural traditions, create awareness around issues of social justice, build grit, promote professionalism, and foster a culture of positive peer pressure. The Student Chapter of A2MEND will provide educational, cultural, social, and intellectual programs that promote positivity and brotherhood among its members.
Institutional Benefits of a Student Chapter:
– Priority Attendance for the A2MEND Annual Male Summit and the A2MEND Student Charter Leadership Conference
– Professional and Student Development: A2MEND offers a wide range of educational opportunities for students and advisors:
– Reduced rates on all A2MEND consultations, speaking and workshops services
– Use of the A2MEND Brand
– Access to reports of data from research & assessment projects conducted by A2MEND
– Access to best practices and innovative strategies to address the success of African American men and other men of color.
– Access to archived workshop and conference materials
– Use of all A2MEND Intellectual Property (e.g., Organizational Structure, Club Chartering Template, African American Male Theory)
Institutional Commitment Checklist:
– The College commits to identifying a counselor and/or faculty member to serve as a mentor/advisor.
– The College commits to sending and covering the cost associated with having the A2MEND advisor to attend the A2MEND summer training.
– The College has identified a funding source to cover the fees associated with being an A2MEND affiliated student chartered organization.
– The College commits to supporting its student charter members and the faculty advisor to attend A2MEND statewide convenings including, but, not limited to the annual A2MEND African American Male Summit.
Cost to Establish a Student Chapter:
– Annual institutional fee: $1,500
– Initial site visits: $4,000 two site visits ($2,000 per visit plus expenses) from an A2MEND representative(s) to conduct advisor(s) training, student orientation, and charter planning sessions.
– Total start up cost: $5,500